Experienced EcoSchool Certification Cycle (EECC)
What is the EEEC?
The EECC is a two-year certification cycle consisting of one pledge year and one application year. The pledge year is designed to give schools time to focus on environmental learning and action without having to submit a complete application. Each pledge year is followed by an application year in which schools submit a complete application and participate in a site visit.
Who is eligible?
Experienced EcoSchools that have consistently certified for 5 years or more, currently hold Silver or Gold status, and are not scheduled to receive an Ontario EcoSchools site-visit are eligible to participate.
Pledge year overview
Pledge year requirements – submit by January 31st
In a pledge year, schools will complete a pledge indicating that they will continue their EcoSchools program at the same level of engagement as in previous years. The pledge is signed by all members of the EcoTeam. The EcoTeam will also participate in a teambuilding project that focuses on reflection and future initiatives.
- Complete a pledge form signed by all members of the EcoTeam
- Complete a teambuilding project with members of the EcoTeam
- Upload the signed pledge and evidence of the teambuilding project by January 31st
Pledge year evaluation criteria
Pledge Form – The pledge form must be signed by all EcoTeam members, scanned or photographed, and uploaded. Forms that contain a typed list of names will not be accepted.
Teambuilding Project – The teambuilding project should clearly address one of the three reflection question choices provided and should demonstrate student participation during the current school year. Upon assessment, additional information may be requested to support the submission provided.
For more information about the Pledge Year and Teambuilding Project, please click here.
Pledge Year Fine Print
- Schools must register for the pledge year to participate. The certification application will automatically provide this registration option if your school is eligible for the EECC pledge year.
- Pledge years must fall during a non-site visit year (i.e., your school is NOT scheduled to receive a site visit). This means that your school should have received a site visit the year before a pledge year (if your site visit status is incorrect, please contact info at ontarioecoschools.org.
- In a pledge year, schools are awarded the level and points from the previous year certification assessment once the requirements for the pledge year are met. A school can only increase its standing by submitting a full application.
- The year following a pledge year, schools are required to submit a complete application, online portfolio, and participate in a site visit. A school that chooses not to submit a complete application will be removed from EECC eligibility.
- Schools that do not submit the required evidence to support the pledge year by January 31st will not be certified for that school year and will no longer be eligible for the EECC program.
- Schools that become ineligible for EECC can re-establish their eligibility for the EECC program after successfully certifying for 3 consecutive years.
- To maintain eligibility, a school’s most recent 5 years of certification cannot be separated by a gap of more than 1 non-certification year.
Schools can continue to alternate between pledge years and application years as long as they maintain their eligibility.