Experienced EcoSchool Certification Cycle Pilot (EECC)
Based on feedback received from schools, Ontario EcoSchools is pleased to announce a new pilot certification cycle for experience schools.
What is the Experienced EcoSchool Certification Cycle?
The EECC is a two year certification cycle consisting of one year as a pledge year and one year as an application year. The pledge year is designed to give schools time to focus on their environmental learning and action without having to submit a complete application. A pledge year is followed by an application year where schools submit a complete application, portfolio and participate in a site visit.
Who is eligible?
Schools that have consistently certified for 5 years or more, and that currently hold Silver or Gold status are eligible to participate.
Pledge year details
In a pledge year, schools will complete a pledge indicating that they will continue their EcoSchools program at the same level of engagement as in previous years. The pledge is signed by all members of the EcoTeam. The EcoTeam will also complete a team building activity as part of the Pledge year and then upload both scanned documents into the online application by January 31st 2012. Once the requirements for the pledge year are met, the school will be awarded the same certification status and points as the previous year.
- Pledge years fall on the same year your school is scheduled to NOT receive a site visit (non-site visit year). This means that your school should have received a site visit last year (if this is incorrect please contact info (at) ontarioecoschools.org).
Pledge year requirements – Submit by January 31st
- Complete a pledge signed by all members of the EcoTeam
- Complete a teambuilding activity with members of the EcoTeam
- Upload the two requirements by January 31st to be awarded certification
Pledge year requirement forms
Pledge year fine print
- Schools must register for the Pledge year to participate. Schools will be identified when registering for the online application if they are eligible for the Pledge year. Schools will then click on “yes, we wish to participate” in the online application to register.
- In a pledge year, schools are awarded the level and points from the previous year certification assessment once the requirements for the pledge year are met. A school can only increase its standing by submitting a full application.
- The year following a Pledge year, schools are required to submit a complete application, portfolio requirements, and participate in a site visit. If schools choose not to do this they are no longer eligible for the EECC.
- Schools who do not meet the requirements of the Pledge year by January 31st will not be certified for that school year and will no longer be eligible for the EECC.
- Schools that have 5 years of certification with a gap of more than 1 years of non-certification will not be eligible for the EECC.
- If schools become ineligible for the EECC, schools can become eligible again after successfully certifying for 3 consecutive years.