Step 1: Establish your school’s EcoTeam and register your school at certapp.ontarioecoschools.org.
All schools, new and returning, must register each year. Registration opens at the end of September.
Familiarize yourself with this year's Certification Guide.
Step 2: Conduct your school’s nergy Conservation and Waste Minimization Initial EcoReviews and input results into your online certification application by January 31, 2013:
- Engage students and the EcoTeam in the assessment of your school’s energy and waste practices by conducting your EcoReviews.
- Schools must input results for 19 out of 19 EcoReview questions (2.1-2.9 and 3.1-3.10) by Jan. 31st 2013 to be eligible for certification. If there is no evidence for a question, schools should claim level 0.
- Resources: Energy Conservation EcoReview, Waste Minimization EcoReview
- Please note: you have until April 30 to complete the rest of your application. For details see pg. 6 of the Certification Guide.
Step 3: Implement your EcoSchools action plan/activities and input your school’s ongoing achievements in your online application. Conduct your Follow-up EcoReviews at least 3 months after your Initial EcoReviews and input your results online.
Step 4: Assemble all portfolio requirements needed to support your application by April 30. A complete list of your school’s portfolio requirements can be found on the Application Summary page of your application. Applicants have two options for their portfolio requirements:
- Paperless portfolio (recommended): upload all requirements into the online application
- Paper portfolio duotang: collect all requirements on paper in a duotang
Step 5: Complete the online application by answering all applicable questions by April 30, 2013. Review the Application Summary page, then click on “Submit to Ontario EcoSchools.” (Please note: Schools need to claim a minimum of 50 points to receive an assessment.)
Important note: CDs/DVDs, memory sticks, websites or other electronic media cannot be submitted as portfolio/supporting documents.
School Board celebrating its certified EcoSchools